You want your students to share ideas equally.
You want your students interact with people they do not often speak to.
All teachers want their students to interact positively; however, it can be a very tricky to accomplish – especially since classrooms are often a mix bag of culture and difference.
Getting students to interact comes down to routine, positive interaction early in the year. Students need to know that in your classroom, things run a particular way.
A Stand Up, Hand Up, Pair Up, is a great way to get students interacting quickly. Here are the directions:
- Students stand up and put their hand up.
- You can do one of two things: get students to walk around the room and choose a student to pair up with, or play music and students choose the first person they see when the music stops.
- Teacher will ask question.
- Provide 10 seconds think time.
- Students share using either a RallyRobin or Think, Pair, Share
Afterwards, you can have students return to their desks and they can share their ideas to the class.